BOY TRAPPED

Where the inside of my mind leaks onto the screen.

Thursday, March 19, 2020

New Rules

It's been one week since our world changed.  At least, since the changes came rolling to our front door.  One week since Alex didn't get to see Dear Evan Hansen on his 13th birthday.  Six days since the governor of Utah announced a two-week school "dismissal," which is a whole lot like a closure but with more work.  Five days since the kids left the house to go anywhere meaningful.  Four days since the sacrament was blessed in our home, and Alex passed it in his lounge clothes while the dog tried to sniff it. Three days since I reported to an empty school and packaged two weeks of "distance learning" into a manila envelope. Two days since shamrocks in the windows of the neighbors reduced me to happy tears. One day since experiencing a 5.7 magnitude earthquake (but that's another story, nevermind...).

And here I am. Living by a whole new set of rules. I don't mean expectations. Yeah, those changed, too. But I mean the little rules I've put in place one at a time that allow me to be a successful adult despite the challenges of ADHD. The huge shift in the American way of life has knocked down every routine I had in place, especially the litany of tasks that were firmly attached to my strict, by-the-minute teacher's schedule.

Now, I just live by the rules.

  • I must be showered before 8:00 a.m.
  • I must wear pants.  Real pants.  Every single day for at least 8 hours.
  • I must curl my hair and put on at least a little makeup.
  • I must ensure each family member eats three structured meals each day.
  • I must leave the house once per day.
  • I must hit 10,000 steps on my Fitbit before bed.
  • I must talk to someone who lives outside my home once each day.
  • I must play a game with the family once each day.
  • I must do something kind for someone outside my home once each day.
  • I must keep the "command center" where I track all these things updated daily.
It helps. It gives structure. It saves sanity. 

As for the routines I've lost... we will rebuild.

0 comments: