BOY TRAPPED

Where the inside of my mind leaks onto the screen.

Friday, March 6, 2020

While Curling my Hair

I let my guard down a little.

When we decided that Adam would still go to Cyprus even though we live Sugarhouse, I knew some changes would have to be made in my morning routine. I realized I could buy myself an extra five minutes of sleep if I let my hair dry naturally on the drive and then curl it in my classroom.  And so, each morning, I set my preparations aside and sit at a seat in the corner to curl my hair. 

 As a result, the strangest thing has happened. I think I accidentally made some friends.

I have two wonderful women assigned to work in my classroom, and while I curl my hair, we chat. Sometimes about work, sure. But there is something surprisingly intimate about curling one's hair that makes it feel like girlfriends at a sleepover.  And so, for the first time in my career, I have gotten to know my coworkers. I know the names of spouses and kids. I know about upcoming college finals and high school tennis matches. And in return, I open up to them.

When others walk into my room during that time to ask questions, I answer while curling. It feels scary, letting people peek behind the curtain like that. But also so refreshing. I start every single day being comfortable with the fact that I am human. That I have limits. That doing my best in a healthy and sustainable way means letting people in before I am totally polished.

And in this vulnerability, I have found the secret to human connection. 

0 comments: