BOY TRAPPED

Where the inside of my mind leaks onto the screen.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Young Love

Right now I'm the music director for a youth show in Draper, and I'm having such a great time.  I've loved getting to know a new batch of theater-loving teenagers who remind me so much of myself over a decade ago. 

What's funny, though, is to watch them from a now perspective but still remember so clearly what it was like back then.

Here's the best example:

At auditions, Unnamed Boy has a thing for Unnamed Girl.  And she obviously has a thing right back.  We are now 3 weeks into rehearsals, and the thing seems to have blossomed into full-blown teenaged love.  Boy and Girl can't seem to part at the end of rehearsal without a lot of mushy hugs surrounded by eye-rolling from their friends.  "Guys, back up!  Boy and Girl are having a moment."

I laugh, because I have been there. 

And now I feel I owe a few people an apology:

To Christopher, Jason, Topher, and anyone else who ever had to witness such ridiculous gushiness:  I'm SO sorry.

Sometimes I think it would be fun to go back to high school with all the confidence and knowledge I have now.  And then I watch Boy and Girl and think, "Nah.  Twenty-eight is pretty awesome."

1 comments:

Rebecca and Nick said...

I love this post! It made me laugh pretty hard. Probably because I know exactly who you are talking about! So funny.