BOY TRAPPED

Where the inside of my mind leaks onto the screen.

Monday, December 13, 2021

1. Ice Skating

When I asked the boys what traditions were important to them, this was the quickest, surest answer. And I wasn't surprised at all. Even though Adam broke his ankle the first time he went skating, he has since learned to love it. And having gone skating with cousins the last few Christmases in Utah, it has become a real party of our holiday fun.

The trick is finding a proper rink in Georgia. It isn't like Salt Lake where there are four dedicated rinks open year round just in the valley, plus the holiday pop ups. We had to wait for a pop up to open, and then we had to make do with its truly pathetic circumference. Adam and I couldn't even manage a proper race. So lesson learned -- next time, we'll research and drive to more of a metro if needed to get some proper skating.

That said, it was perfect for Makenzie, who joined Adam this year in some of our celebrations. She'd only been skating once before, and not in a long time. I loved watching Adam teach her to skate, although it was strange to lose my skating buddy. We came up with a revision to our typical race, though: Adam and I raced as engines of a train with our not-so-great-at-skating significant others as cabooses. It was a fun way to involve Dave, who is honestly pretty terrible at skating.

Dylan was much improved this year, and Alex is finally gaining some confidence to go along with his already-present skill. I even managed to skate backward a little bit, a feat I have never been able to master despite much patient teaching from my parents and Michelle.

Our only real regret was that we weren't able to stay longer!







0 comments: