BOY TRAPPED

Where the inside of my mind leaks onto the screen.

Thursday, December 16, 2021

4. Yummy Bars

 


This year, I passed the Yummy Bar torch to Alex. He wanted to make them for his youth group, so I bought the ingredients and provided the recipe. He listened to each clarification I made along the way and put up all the stories and memories I interjected. I always make it sound like Yummy Bars are truly the most amazing Christmas treat ever, and I'm always surprised if their reception is a little lukewarm. 

I think the trouble is that other people can't taste the memories I have. Wrapped up in a single Yummy Bar is the smell of my Grandma's laundry room. The sound of my Uncle Butch's laugh. The excitement of the season's "laundry" arriving via mail for us to enjoy in Utah. The energy of a family game night. The loneliness in Lisa's voice when she made them on her own for the first time. The joyful chatter when Yummy Bars make their annual reappearance on the table.

I'm so glad that when I asked the kids what traditions were a must, Yummy Bars made their list.

0 comments: