BOY TRAPPED

Where the inside of my mind leaks onto the screen.

Sunday, December 12, 2021

New Traditions

Okay, so full disclosure - moving to Georgia has really changed my perspective on holidays. And family. And the importance of putting some serious work into both of these things. I'm realizing how much I relied on my mom, in-laws, and grandparents to bring joy, but as matriarch of our clan here in Georgia, these things now fall to me.

So I'm trying to step it up. But I realize that just continuing the traditions I love may not work for us - for lots of reasons. In no particular order, I'm listing a few of our specific challenges:
  • There are only five of us. 
  • Three of us are potentially grumpy teenage boys. 
  • ADHD impacts everything I do. 
  • We aren't in Utah anymore.
  • Some of us are not religious.
  • Shared custody complicates holidays. 
  • My kids acquired a step-dad with traditions of his own. 
  • I try really hard to live a low-waste lifestyle and avoid "stuff" as often as I can.
So what is a mom to do? Well, I decided that the only way we'll have traditions is to START some. Yes, Adam rolled his eyes and said, "Mom... I'm turning 17 next month... maybe it's a little late for that?" And sure, Dave said, "Honey, the kids aren't exactly little. Maybe we missed the boat?" And yes, maybe I started a little overzealously with an advent calendar with hidden numbers that corresponded to 12 traditions that may or may not actually make anyone happy...

But THEN, I revised. Thank goodness. Dave could see that this new venture was really not bringing me any joy at all, and let's be honest - 12 different traditions strewn about on the calendar was TOO MUCH for all the ADHD around here, especially mine. So he stopped me in my tracks.

"One party, honey," he encouraged. "Let's take all these great ideas and put them all together onto one day."

"Oh, I can do the 12 hours of Christmas!" I smiled. I hate to see a good theme go to waste. Wisely, Dave encouraged me to divide out the labor and have the kids help. And guess what? We did it!! All twelve items on my list. And in the end, I am happy with all 12. Memorable, rooted in our own histories or looking toward our family's future, expandable, and most of all... 

...Doable.

And with 12 actual days left until Christmas, I am going to give myself the gift of my own memories, thoroughly jotted down beyond the quick Instagram shot. For the next twelve days, stay tuned for:

1. Ice Skating
2. Hot Chocolate
3. Music
4. Yummy Bars
5. Stocking Spree
6. Cinnamon Rolls
7. Christmas Socks
8. Games
9. Puzzle
10. Sugar Cookies
11. Green Elephant Gifts
12. Pot Luck

0 comments: