BOY TRAPPED

Where the inside of my mind leaks onto the screen.

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

3. Music

I put "music" on my 12 Days of Christmas list, not knowing quite what that would even end up meaning to me. And for a while, it seemed that it would mean things like crying all through the Jefferson Christmas Parade because I missed my Dickens and EYT kids so much. Or desperately wishing I had my family close so we could carol. I realized maybe I would just have to count the rehearsing we've been doing on our Christmas Eve song, but that seemed like a stretch. Sharing our talents with the Casdorphs is a tradition, but it's a Utah tradition. And the whole point of this endeavor was to establish things I can carry on with just our little clan.

Finally, I realized that it isn't a moment of music that I crave at Christmastime. It is a whole season of it. And thankfully, this season came with opportunities to meet others who share that passion. More importantly, this season came with opportunities to serve others using music. Thanks to Mrs. Katie Leigh and Ms. Dana Harrell who have welcomed me with open arms, I've been able to assist with the show choir at the high school and with the musical at the middle school. I've been able to spend time with Alex and Dylan and feel that connection we've always shared through music.

I still miss my Dickens and EYT kids like crazy. But through two whole new crops of performers, music has remained a part of my December traditions.



0 comments: